Six Ways To Improve Your
Microsoft Access Database
Six ways to improve your MS Access database:
- Split the application into a frontend (user interface) file and backend (data) file.
- In the data file:
- correctly enforce relationships and "required" fields;
- apply unique and non-unique indexes appropriately;
- implement permissions to control what users can do (e.g. read only, or edit too), and what data they can see.
- In the user interface file:
- replace macros with VBA code;
- have comprehensive error trapping throughout the VBA code so that the application doesn't just crash or freeze when a user does something wrong, or when there is a file access issue on your network;
- set it to auto repair and compact on close.
- Give everyone their own copy of the interface (frontend) file, as a compiled file (accde or mde).
- Perform a repair/compact of your data file at least once per week.
- Engage us to add features, or to rectify or stabilise your application.
Read more about us.